Thursday, January 29, 2015

Blog Assignment #3

I want you for feedback!


Peer Editing


A useful technique to help students improve their writing is to have fellow classmates edit it. This is commonly known as peer editing. The best approach to this system is to make sure students are giving constructive criticism rather than destructive criticism. In fact, the first thing they should do is give compliments regarding their partner's work. It is very important to stay positive in order for students to feel comfortable sharing their work. Then, they can move into providing suggestions and corrections for their partners to improve on. This process ensures that students get the feedback they need in a way that also lets them get involved with their classmates.

I think peer editing is important because it allows students to see mistakes that they wouldn't normally have seen before.They may think it sounds good while they are writing it, but they could miss a lot of common mistakes. It also gives them a chance to learn how to receive constructive criticism. Students will have to face criticism as they graduate and move into the "real world." So, it is important for educators to not only teach them how to give constructive criticism, but to also teach them how to take it from others. I know I will try to give my fellow classmates in EDM 310 as much constructive feedback as possible. In order for my peer editing to be successful, I will compliment them at the beginning of my comment, provide a few suggestions for how they can improve, and give them a compliment at the end. Hopefully, I can also improve on how I take criticism from my fellow classmates.

Sources

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your ideas about Peer Editing. I think you hit the nail on the head when you talked about giving constructive criticism rather than destructive criticism. I think the best way to have them is, like you said, give compliments to the work. As a peer editor it is important to stay positive in order to keep the process working. I liked your idea about the real world implications of peer reviewing and criticism. I thought your best point was that educators should not only know how to give constructive criticism, but also know how to receive it. I'm sure you're well on your way to succeeding at peer editing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All blog posts need to have links for the reader to click on and view what sources you are referring to in your writing! Overall good post.

    ReplyDelete